|After the loss of Taiwan in 1662, the VOC tried to acced to the
Chinese porcelain and silk trade at the port of Fuzhou. However, the
Company's attempts to trade there were hampered by a string of
bureaucratic restrictions. Although the trading post at Fuzhou barely
made a profit, the VOC kept it on until 1681.
Huangpu(1728) Whampoa, an island situated in the Zhujiang river,
served as the harbour of Canton. A Dutch warehouse was built here.
Tea and porcelain were the principal products purchased by the VOC in
Canton. In the 18th century the VOC rented permanent premises in Canton,
next to the building occupied by the British.