Home | Hobbies | Books | Mutiara Laut | Website Projects | Links

Previous

The Dutch former Colonies

Canada: Jemseq (Nieuw-Brunswijk) (1674)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jemseg,_New_Brunswick

The first trading post at Jemseg was built near the mouth of the river in 1659 by Col. Thomas Temple. This was a fortified post convenient for trade with the Maliseet. However Temple's prosperity was short-lived for Acadia was restored to the French in 1667. A flood in 1696 caused late planting and crop failures. Sieur de Soulanges lived here when the fort was attacked by Jurriaen Aernoutsz, a Dutch privateer, in 1674 and held by the Dutch for several months. After the death of Soulanges in 1678 it was occupied by the d'Amour brothers, Louis and Mathieu, who are recognized as the first farmers at Jemseg. So farming in this area has a 300 year history although nowadays strawberries, potatoes and market vegetables are the chief crops grown while beef cattle and light horses are the only stock traded commercially. Around 1700 "Fort" Jemseg was abandoned for military purposes although it was still used as a trading post. A flood in 1701 caused losses to crops and cattle. The settlement was relocated to Port Royal, Nova Scotia. By the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, Acadia was ceded to the English for the final time, but it seems likely that Acadians lived and farmed in the area until 1758 when General Moncton razed the settlement at Grimross (now Gagetown). Between then and 1783, a handful of English-speaking pre-Loyalist families settled on the Jemseg (the Nevers, Garrisons and Estabrooks for example), but it was the Loyalists after 1783 who really caused the village to grow. Loyalist names like Dykeman, Ferris, Gunter and Currie and, until recently Colwell, are still represented in the community and these people often live on the same land granted to their ancestors in the 18th century.
 

Previous